Thursday, December 16, 2010

Snowman Truffles


These snowman truffles were really fun to make with the kids. They are extremely rich, so serve just one and include a big glass of milk to wash it down! The hats didn't turn out great for me; I think I didn't thin the chocolate enough. But we had a blast and I think they are so cute.

First I made cookie dough truffles because they are super easy and delicious. Simply blend together 1/2 cup softened butter and 3/4 cup brown sugar in a medium mixing bowl, using an electric mixer. Beat until blended & smooth. Then add 2 cups of flour and 1 can of condensed milk. Beat again until blended & smooth. Form into balls and put into the fridge to firm up. I used a scooper so they would all be about the same size. 



While the dough is in the fridge, melt a bag of chocolate chips with a spoonful of shortening. Coat large marshmallows and put on a Silpat mat or waxed paper to harden. Dip thin wafer cookies and put them to harden as well. I think I needed to make the chocolate thinner with more shortening so it would drip off, leaving a thin, smooth layer. Instead my chocolate was apparently too thick because it ended up splotchy. If you don't have thin wafer cookies you could also simply use a spoon and pour circles of the melted chocolate onto the waxed paper and let them harden. Oh, those weird extra shapes in the photo? I had too much chocolate so I made chocolate-covered cherry clusters with the rest!



While the chocolate hat pieces hardened I dipped the cookie dough balls in melted white chocolate with shortening in it. This came out a lot smoother. Hey, you could use donut holes if you don't want to make the balls!

"Paste" the hat tops & bottoms together to make snowman hats with some melted chocolate. While that hardens, make faces on the snowman balls with black gel icing. I had some Halloween sprinkles and picked out the orange ones and used the black gel to "glue" the noses on.

"Paste" the hats onto the snowman balls with melted chocolate. This worked for most of my snowmen, but on a few I had to take a sharp knife and kind of shave off the top of the snowman head to make it flatter so the hat would stay on.





No comments:

Post a Comment