Friday, February 11, 2011

Quick Gardening Notes for the Weekend


{Sorry for the over-exposed, overly-popped photo. I have no excuse except that its night and I quickly snapped one photo. We'll all get over it.}

Two quick things about gardening before we start the weekend, in case you'll be shopping for seeds:

1. KIDS GARDENING - I am going to do a "gardening with the kids" series as well, starting next week. So if you want to get some cutesie kids' seeds, or even just pick out a regular pack or two with the kids, go for it! 

I took Little Bill with me to Home Depot to buy some paint and he saw these kids' gardening mini-kits. I loved that he was into gardening, so I let him pick out three. At 99-cents, its worth it to keep his excitement about starting seeds. They'll need to go in the ground at some point, which means I will make an extra little raised bed for him. It's unnecessary, but I think it will make him feel special and foster pride in his own gardening work, so I figure it'll be worth it, and fun! 

You could make a themed garden with your kids. I've seen a salsa garden with tomatoes, jalapenos, cilantro, and onions. I've seen a pizza garden with basil, oregano, tomatoes, and maybe bell peppers. And I've seen a salad garden with lettuce (while its cool), cucumbers, tomatoes, bell peppers, carrots, and radishes.

If you don't have yard space, group together a few pots on your patio for your child's own "garden"!

2. ORGANIC VEGGIES - I am happy to say that on said trip to Home Depot, I discovered that they carry Martha Stewart organic seeds for just $1.99 per packet! I shook several and it sounded like there was a good amount of seeds in each as well. I don't really care about the Martha Stewart part, but am happy to see affordable organic seeds that you can just go to the store and buy. Just wanted to let ya know!

Have a great weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment