Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Family Movie Night is Back!

Photo: Stock Xchng/ Billy Alexander


For the longest time, we did family movie nights in our home. I would pick a movie and then Jill and I would spend a Friday afternoon making snacks and treats themed to the selected movie. Friday night we would watch the movie and enjoy the treats together. We kind of became known for this and neighborhood kids started joining in on the fun. You can take a look at our Bug's Life movie night.

As the kids started getting older, I couldn't shake the fact that we were watching characters behave in ways that I spend a lot of time trying to teach my kids NOT to behave like. It bothered me more and more until I declared last summer a TV-free summer as an experiment. We so enjoy the time together and the themed snacks, so we started our own version of family game night instead. Summer was full, we had a lot of fun, and I was happy to not be hypocritical with regards to our movie watching. But we missed it. A lot.

I am happy to say that I have found a better solution! I have been finding a lot of great family movies in my Christian magazines and newspaper. Enough so that I believe we can reinstitute family movie night, but with quality viewing! So I am posting a selection and, of course, the themed snacks and maybe activities to go with the movies. I am so excited!

Our first selection will be The Blind Side. I have seen this movie and absolutely love it. It lends to so much great discussion afterwards. This isn't a kids' movie, so if you have little ones they may be uninterested. So I will alternate with family movies for those with older kids and cartoon/kids' movies for the younger set. We will be watching it this weekend, so I will post the movie info, snacks/treats, and maybe activities to go with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment