Monday, November 8, 2010

I Surrender to the Turkey



I have a confession to make: Thanksgiving and I just don't see eye to eye. I have fun with Halloween, All Saints Day, All Souls Day. Then I am in the mood for Christmas. But there is Thanksgiving, sitting smack dab in the middle, blocking any decorating or activities I want to do for Christmas.

I do like fall very much, but I celebrate it all of October. I am all for being grateful and celebrating history, but we should have these any day rather than just once a year. As for family and the big dinner, my extended family is very close so we already spend plenty of time together and share plenty of meals and celebrations together. Thanksgiving is just not worth making me wait an extra month to start getting ready for Christmas  season.

This year I am giving up the struggle. Thanksgiving, you win. I will celebrate you, cook for you, wait on Christmas for you and yes, even try to enjoy you this year. But I can't promise that I will not secretly make some Christmasy crafts and tuck them away until you are officially gone for another year.

No comments:

Post a Comment